A Spoonful of Salt

A Spoonful of Salt
Please take everything you read with a grain of salt. But for this blog, please take it with a spoonful.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Living Without a Car


So, I stumbled upon this link somehow http://books.google.com/books?id=7Aaqef3g6J0C (I think while reading http://wyldeandraw.blogspot.com/ ) and I found it very interesting. Until a couple of months ago, I had been carpooling everyday. But truth be told, it saved me zero money. I kind of felt bad for the guy (carpooler) b/c he was the one really trying to save money for his family, so I never charged him anything...AND we drove my car everyday. It was cool though, b/c what I valued the most was being able to drive in the HOV lane and get to work in lightening speed :) So, overall, it was mutually beneficial.

However, lately, I have been the one needing to save money. It seems that lately I have been spending more than I make. Its not like I go on insane shopping sprees or anything. It is just becoming more expensive to live. Food, rent, unexpected expenses...and do I even need to mention gas prices?!

So, I went to the aforementioned site and read the preview of the book. It makes a lot of sense- just not totally for me. While saving $712 a month by not having to pay for gas, insurance or a car payment would be AMAZING, it would be impossible for me to get around without a car, unfortunately. I live 15 miles from work and that is all highway. There is no way hubby would even consider moving closer either b/c we chose or current apartment b/c it is a fair distance between both of our jobs (but still more in my favor- 30 miles to work for him). Even though not owning a car is not an option for me, there still are things I -and everyone- can do to save fuel at least. For instance, I live in a very central location to restaurants, shops, a grocery store- all less than a mile away. I could easily ride my bike (thanks baby!) or walk anywhere I need to go locally. That alone will save me some moola on fuel and hey, I'll even get in some exercise while getting there!

Just something I have been thinking about...

RMc

1 comment:

  1. I think your local shopping via bike etc... is a great idea. Dallas is so huge....definitely doesn't fall into the sphere of a walkable city..but walkable neighborhoods still live on!

    ReplyDelete